/bin/ld problem (too many segments)

Gene Zombolas zombolas at hebron.ads.com
Thu Jun 9 07:34:20 AEST 1988

In article <301 at intek01.UUCP> mark at .UUCP writes:
>I've been using the -SEG flag for a year with no ill effects.  It is a
>"kludge", but it's a kludge caused by the !@$#% segmented architecture,
>not any fault of yours.
>
>Use -SEG and don't sweat it.

While porting our companies software Sun to Xenix, I to got the "too
many segments" error.  What I do not understand is that was on Xenix
386, a virtual machine.  The problem was made worse by cc which does
not understand the -SEG argument, although it was listed in the manual.
To work around this, I had to call the loader directly which is very
ugly.  Does anyone know what is going on here? Why is the 386 loader
still dealing in segments?  SCO's customer support could not answer
or why cc does not understand -SEG.

-Gene Zombolas