ungetty woes

John F. Haugh II jfh at rpp386.UUCP
Thu Jun 2 04:24:46 AEST 1988

In article <57 at jetson.UUCP> john at jetson.UUCP (John Owens) writes:
>I have the same problem; who shows "DIALOUT" in utmp for the line.  You
>don't need to enable and disable the line; just killing the getty
>process works every time for me.

don't do this if you want you dialouts to work.  you will wind up
killing off whatever uucico or cu's running on that port.  so far
as i can tell, if something is on the port killing the getty may
kill whatever is using the port going out.

you need to check for a lock file before killing anything.  i just
sent someone else this script.  it seems to work just fine so you
may want to give it a try yourself.  you will have to adjust it for
your own situation.

- john.
--
set - `who -a | grep tty1A`
if [ "$1" = "DIALOUT" ]
then
	if [ ! -f /usr/spool/uucp/LCK..tty1A ]
	then
		(
			who -a | grep tty1A
			/usr/lib/uucp/ungetty -r /dev/tty1A
			sleep 5
			who -a | grep tty1A
			ls -l /dev/tty1A
			echo 'Dialer was hung at ' `date`
		) | mail jfh
	fi > /dev/null 2>&1
fi
--
John F. Haugh II                 | "If you aren't part of the solution,
River Parishes Programming       |  you are part of the precipitate."