Need info on the ALTOS 386

Chris Lewis It's loose again! clewis at spectrix.UUCP
Fri Jun 24 07:56:14 AEST 1988

In article <6656 at cup.portal.com> oliver at cup.portal.com writes:
>I am a Alots certified tech for the 386/1000 running Unix....
>(not that I am proud of it or anything....)
>
>There are no products for the 386/1000 nor have I heard of any that will
>allow the Altos to run MS-Dos programs..
>SCO has Vp/ix that will run a dos shell so you can run MS/dos programs...
>But it requires 386 Xenix to run ...not UNIX....
>I think the sales man was trying to gain brownie points..

Um, 386/IX (UNIX SVR3) supports VP/IX.  (That's what it was originally
implemented on!)  So probably will Microport and Bell Tech UNIX.
If AT&T's version of UNIX doesn't, it will soon.

And, at least Microport will run DOSmerge (the 'other DOS emulation).

Unless Altos has done wierd things to their hardware, virtually any of
these versions of UNIX will run on it.

Even IBM has jumped onto the DOS under UNIX bandwagon (they've licensed
both VP/IX and DOSmerge)
--
Chris Lewis, Spectrix Microsystems Inc, Phone: (416)-474-1955
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo, lsuc, yunexus}!spectrix!clewis