Questions without answers

Edwin Wiles ewiles at netxcom.UUCP
Mon Jun 6 02:56:11 AEST 1988

In article <50 at uisc1.UUCP> root at uisc1.UUCP (Super user) writes:

>The trend is to ask a question, and then to finish it by saying "Please
>reply to E-mail/private mail as I am too busy to keep up with this
>conference/newsgroup."
>
>What's the result? Well, the result is a newsgroup in which you have lots
>and lots of questions, and no answers. The result is also that people
>stop reading the newsgroup, as nobody is really terribly interested in
>the questions. It's the answers and the advice people are reading it for.

It often depends on the nature of the question.  I had a question for
comp.sys.amiga, regarding why a certain example program wouldn't work.
I asked for EMAIL responses because I figured that the problem was something
simple that I just didn't know about.  I also stated that if there were
enough requests, I would sumarize the information I received to the network.

The nice thing about doing it this way is that you don't flood the newsgroup
with a dozen identical responses to a simple question.  If it turns out that
it's not an obvious solution/problem, then the replier can opt to both post
it *and* mail a response.

>Comments and Feedback encouraged, publicly to this newsgroup.

Ordinarily I would have mailed this reply to you, but you asked for it
publicly so here it is.

--
...!hadron\   "Who?... Me?... WHAT opinions?!?" | Edwin Wiles
  ...!sundc\   Schedule: (n.) An ever changing	| NetExpress Comm., Inc.