Questions without answers

Brad Templeton brad at looking.UUCP
Tue Jun 7 04:12:24 AEST 1988

You guys are missing the whole point.  You are SUPPOSED TO ANSWER WITH
E-MAIL.  Only in rare, very rare cases is it appropriate to post an
answer to a query.

Even if the person says,
	"Please post your response to the net"
You are supposed to answer with E-mail.  The poster made a mistake and
was supposed to request answers by E-mail.

Otherwise when somebody asks a moderatedly easy question, we get 20

Even if you can't E-mail the guy, you should still not post, unless
you are very sure that yours is going to be the only answer, because
the question is technical and in your field of expertise.  If it's
a regular question and your mail doesn't make it, somebody else's will.

If a person asks a question, it is their duty to collect the duplicate
answers, and post the best one back.  (Not a collection of the answers,
but a summary.)

If you want to encourage that, when you see a question you would like
to hear the answer to, send mail to the asker requesting that he or
she send the answer back to you, or post it.

If people follow these guidelines, we get a much cleaner net.
--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473