Floating point hardware/software

Jim Willing jimw at bucket.UUCP
Fri Jun 24 02:29:49 AEST 1988

In article <682 at amelia.nas.nasa.gov> wgreene at amelia.nas.nasa.gov (William H. Greene) writes:
>                     Eratum 21
>
>     A few people have mentioned this well-known (?) bug in
>the current crop of 386 chips which occurs when a program is paging
>and doing floating point operations on the 387.
.
.
>What about the Compaq 386/20 ? Anyone know when
>Intel will be selling chips with this bug fixed ?

Compaq has reciently released a bulletin referring to this problem, and
has issued a plug in module to correct it.  They claim that only the 16mhz
system is affected, and the 20 & 25mhz systems do not show the problem.

The update board is available at no charge from Compaq to people who have
had the problem (or have the potential).  The problem had never made itself
real apparent on my system, but since I was running software that was prone
to causing the problem (Xenix/386 + heavy co-proc use) they sent me the board.

No recient info from Intel tho...

BTW:  The problem (when it shows up) will affect systems with 387 OR 287
co-processors...

--

usually found at:    ..tektronix!teksce!bucket!jimw
alternatly found at  CBBS/NW (503) 284-5260