Getting netnews running

Shawn F. McDonald mechsfm at tness1.UUCP
Sat Jun 18 05:10:31 AEST 1988

Can anybody out there help me with setting up the news software?

I am running Xenix 2.2.3 on a Compaq 386/20.  The problem I encountered
was after I compiled the news 2.11 code.  I run into problems when I
try running readnews or vnews.

When I invoke readnews, I get:   Stack Overflow
			         Bus error - core dumped

When I invoke vnews, I get:	 vnews: too big

What are these messages, and how can I fix the news software so that vnews
and/or readnews will work?  ( I ran the localize.sh for Xenix )

Also, I am having a nasty time installing rn.  Could somebody give me some
pointers on installing it?  It bombs out in the end while linking, giving
the message:

	 LINK: unresolved externals:

It then goes on to list several externals that caused it to bomb out.
Specifically, all of the errors are coming from term.c.  It complains about
tgoto, tgetnum, tgetstr, tputs, tgetflag, and tgetent.

I don't understand why these are giving it a problem.  I would appreciate
it anybody could send me some pointers on how to set up the software.

Thanks

Shawn McDonald    ( killer!tness7!tness5! )