Xenix 2.1.3 slowdown on 286 clone

compata at cup.portal.com compata at cup.portal.com
Thu May 5 12:45:02 AEST 1988

Several of my customers are running Xenix 2.1.3 on a 1 MB AT clone.  They have
complained that the system seems to begin running more slowly after it has
been up for several days.  Even to the point where response to a haltsys
requires ten minutes.  The problem can be easily cured by rebooting.

I would consider suggesting that they upgrade to 2.2 if I can be confident
that it will fix the problem.  Is this a known problem with 2.1.3?  Is it
fixed in 2.2?  Is it perhaps caused by some data structure accumulating,
eventually filling memory?

I know that an upgrade would require that they also purchase more memory,
at least 1 more MB.  They are running a MS-COBOL application from 3-5
concurrent terminals, so the problem could also be in COBOL.  It certainly
does have problems.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

Dave Close, Compata, Arlington, Texas
email to compata at cup.portal.com or sun!cup.portal.com!compata
telex to 6295-5830