vpix and Xenix/386?

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Tue May 10 23:59:52 AEST 1988

  I am trying to install a copy of VP/IX on a xenix/386 (v2.2.1) system.
The vpix is a 1-2 user version, if that helps anyone understand the
problem.

  I went through the installation by the book, although there is a
reference to supplying an "installation password" or something. I wasn't
asked for it when I ran _custom_, so I didn't worry about it. At the end
of the install I was asked if I wanted to link the kernel (y) and
install as my boot xenix (y). I created one vpix user (a dummy account).

  After rebooting, I logged into the test account and typed vpix. Back
came the message:
	Bad system call

which I *suspect* may be due to a failure in the kernel build.  I not
that the kernel is a *lot* smaller than the version it replaces (about
80k smaller), which has tape support.  The new version does support
tape, however, and seems to work except for the vpix handling.

  I would really like to have a vpix environment for program testing,
etc, but I am beginning to suspect that the Xenix version is less useful
than the ix/386 version I tested some months ago. I'm always suspicious
when I pay money for something labeled "beta test" or "controlled release."
In this case I see no control other than limiting the distribution to
people who will pay for the software.

  If anyone has any words of wisdom on this, I'd like to hear from them.
I believe that I followed the instructions, but I wouldn't be surprised
if they're wrong or incomplete.  If it doesn't work better than this I
will restore my root partition and add it to my collection of learning
experiences.

  Maybe I should just put a PC on a serial port and use that as my DOS
environment.

--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)