MSDOS Board Access under Xenix/Vpix

Dave Hughes dave at well.UUCP
Fri May 6 13:32:55 AEST 1988

I am trying to figure out how to use VPix under SCO Xenix on a 386 to
run an MSDOS Voice Mail Board from the Complete Answering Machine (CAM)
company. This board, when used with MSDOS 2.1 or higher can run in
background when invoked. Does not, under MSDOS require any DEVICE statement
in config.sys.  It has dip switches for setting anyone of 8 I/O address
ranges from 220-227 to 3E0-3E7.
This fine little board and software is easy to install and use under MSDOS.
All that it requires is its own C:\CAM subdirectory, with paths set to it
in autoexec.bat. One invokes it with the command ANSWER after the I/O in
software matches the dip switches and it does its thing, returning control
to C: as soon as invoked.
Expecting a miracle, I simply put its programs in a CAM directory in a
xenix user id directory off C: under Vpix, and then after running Vpix
simply try to run CAM with Answer. It of course can't find the board, cause
in the vpix.cnf configuration file there is no such choice, and no /dev to
refer to. When I run a CAMCHECK program which is a diagnostic ist searches
all the I/O addresses and reports that either (1)Cam board is not installed
or (2)its bad. But of course it is installed and is good.
 So it slowly dawns on me that there must be some /dev device int the vpix.cnf
file to link the programs with the hardware. And that even running the
device-less Msdos CAM programs while in Vpix, they can't 'punch-through' to
the hardware to find the board. Not sure why not.
  All the CAM programs, including install, config modify etc run well and
smoothly while in vpix, giving no error statements until ANSWER which simply
can't address the hardware board at any of the I/O address ranges.
  Now what am I going to have to do to get this working? Does a whole
device driver have to be written? Is there some /dev device that can be
made to address this board that requires 8 i/o address range?
  From the excellent behavior of all the CAM programs while under vpix,without errors so long as all the files are in an appropriate xenix directory, rather
than on drive D (msdos partition) except finding that piece of hardware,
I have a good feeling the thing is going to work properly as soon as I can
get that software, set for I/O 260-267 (default), switches set, and somehow
put in vpix.cnf (which contains COM1, LPT, ROM, CMOS,C:, EGAROM entries
with corresponding  /dev/tty1As and /usr/bin/lpr, and such device entries)
something like CAM  /dev/????.
  But what I know about device drivers and how /dev units work you could
put on the head of a pin. Perhaps some of you in comp.unix.xenix could
either point me in the right direction or provide a simple answer out o
tools already in Xenix 386.
  P.S. Even though the Release notes for Vpix Controlled Release say that
Procomm Msdos Terminal Software cannot transfer files when used under Vpix
as an MSDOS program, I have found it to work perfectly out COM1, including
Xmodem transfers.
Please post suggestions here from you hardy small band of Vpix 386 users,
or send mail to hplabs!well!dave.  If we get this working I will post
the solution. (and will apply what I get to running Complete's nice little
FAX board too). Cause if these work, anyone with a 386, Xenix, Vpix, a
Voice Mail, and a Fax board can have it all - simultaneously.