core dumps

Mark E. Mallett mem at zinn.MV.COM
Tue May 3 15:36:31 AEST 1988

In article <1293 at rpp386.UUCP>, jfh at rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
> FLAME ON!
>
> have we all forgotten how to debug a program???
>
> first, start by determining WHERE this is happening.  to do that you
> need to compile with -g turned on.
>
>    <etc>

This is an idiotic flame.  Very few people are interested in debugging
every program that goes wrong on their system, *especially* all of the
system programs that you use every day.  The reasonable thing when finding
a problem is to ask for a solution, and not to try to hunt for the answer
in parallel with the other 10,000 people who also use the program!  No,
we have not all forgotten how to debug, but we are more interested in
debugging things that are more closely related to our *own* lives.
--
Mark E. Mallett  PO Box 4188/ Manchester NH/ 03103
Bus. Phone: 603 645 5069    Home: 603 424 8129