CSS Lab Motherboard + SCO Xenix 386

Larry Dighera root at conexch.UUCP
Sun May 15 14:22:12 AEST 1988

In article <193 at milhow1.UUCP> Mike Howard writes:
>Is anyone running (or know of anyone running) SCO Xenix 386AT
>(system V 2.2.x) on a 'CSS Labs' 386 motherboard?
>I am attempting to go from brain dead to 386 w/o killing my
>piggie bank - one way to go involves replacing the mother in my
>clone with one of these.
>Mike Howard
>uunet!milhow1!how

The newer version of the CSS Lab's '386 system-board that is able
to be populated with up to four MB of RAM is known to run SCO Xenix 386 without
any problem.  This is a good choice for users who want take advantage of the
increased clock rate (their 16 MHz system is switchable 20 MHz too!) and the
linear address space, at a reasonable cost.  CSS Lab's makes a very
reliable and well designed product.  Unfortunately, they are experiencing
difficulty obtaining 1 MB RAM chips.  As a result, they will only sell
their systems with a maximum of one MB of RAM installed, but as a temporary
measure you can use your old 16-bit RAM expansion card.

Users who can afford a to spend a little more should consider the purchase
of a system that supports RAM caching circuitry.  CSS is due to release
their new caching system-board this summer.  They won't reveal what
size the cache will be, but for multiuser/multitasking operating systems that
will be running many processes (thus requiring a good deal of RAM), a
large cache (on the order of 256 K bytes) is superior to the 64 K
RAM caches currently available on most '386 system boards.

Everex is the only manufacturer I am aware of that offers caching
circuitry of this size.

Disclaimer: I am both a CSS Lab's and Everex dealer.  I don't sell
other than that in which I have complete confidence.

--
USPS: The Consultants' Exchange, PO Box 12100, Santa Ana, CA  92712
TELE: (714) 842-6348: BBS (N81); (714) 842-5851: Xenix guest account (E71)