Thoughts needed

Mike McNally m5 at lynx.UUCP
Wed May 18 09:25:47 AEST 1988

In article <230 at obie.UUCP> wes at obie.UUCP (Barnacle Wes) writes:
>                               . . .  MS-DOS allows you to load your
>program and write files on the disk in a fairly reasonable manner, and
>won't get in the way of your response time (hopefully).  . . .

``Reasonable'' is in the eyes of the reasoner.  Because (at least in
the 386 thing we have here) the AT hard disk controller does not use
the DMA controller, the CPU must poll when transferring.  The MS-DOS
driver keeps interrupts off while doing this, bringing the interrupt
response time down by quite a bit.

--
Mike McNally of Lynx Real-Time Systems

uucp: lynx!m5 (maybe pyramid!voder!lynx!m5 if lynx is unknown)