Uport 2.3 & Hercules cards

Stephen Hocking shocking at nswitgould.OZ
Tue May 17 10:16:15 AEST 1988

	G'day,

(my apologies for not mailing this to comp.unix.microport, we dont have
it in Oz)

	Whilst ferreting through my release notes for microport unix
2.3, and the man pages for console & ansi, I noticed all these wonderful
ways of flipping the screen into graphics mode. This usually consisted
of escape sequences to do the trick. However, for the hercules card, one
had to patch a kernel variable "hercules", to 1. Both patch and nm
reported that the symbol hercules did not exist, although there was lots
of other interesting stuff in there (like egamodeHERC). My question is,
do they have this stuff running yet? And is it as straight forward as
sending the appropriate escape sequence to do the switch and then
attaching to the shared memory segment and doing our stuff? Has anybody
had any experience doing the same with ega & cga cards?

	Much thanks etc in advance

	Stephen
--
	"You are lost in a maze of messy nappies, all alike"

UUCP.net:  {ukc,mcvax,ucb-cs,uunet}!munnari!nswitgould.oz!shocking
ACS.net:   shocking at nswitgould.oz	{ARPANET,BITNET}: Who knows?