Foreign (Latin) Character Sets under UNIX

Michael Deutsch deutsch at jplgodo.UUCP
Fri May 27 16:39:28 AEST 1988

Are you an expert in runing FOREIGN (LATIN TEXT)
on an ASCII or an ANSI terminal with foreign character
sets, as well as on your monitor?

If you are, I need your help.  I have an application
that was translated from English into French and German
which added characters with accents, etc., which DOS
system displays very nicely; however many terminals
have only a partial foreign character set, and UNIX
does not handle very well characters with ASCII value over
127. This results in funny characters and strange results.

I know somewhat how to use the "mapchan" and "mapscr"
feature under XENIX and I understand that the 10 / Plus
environment under 386/IX has some provisions for doing
this, however the details are sketchy to me.  I would
also like to be able to run these under Microport and
on a SUN workstation.  Your clear description of the
process will be greatly appreciated.  I understand
that these features were added only recently; however,
my understanding is that they exist!

If you have a solution, please reply by E-mail, or call
me collect or even FAX:

Tel: 1 - (619) 452 - 8649
Fax: 1 - (619) 452 - 8711

Thanks in advance,