ungetty woes

John Owens john at jetson.UUCP
Tue May 31 23:57:45 AEST 1988

In article <582 at tapa.UUCP>, larry at tapa.UUCP (Larry Pajakowski) writes:
> Most times disabling and enabling the port restores things though not always.

> The kernal is BIG which may be a factor.  It is configured for: Digiboard,
> Excelan TCP/IP, Xenix-Net, Multiview and VP/ix.  The machine is a Compaq
> 386/20 and Xenix-386 is ver. 2.2.3 (2.2.2 after installing VP/ix).

I have the same problem; who shows "DIALOUT" in utmp for the line.  You
don't need to enable and disable the line; just killing the getty
process works every time for me.  (init sees that line's process go away
and clears the utmp entry, as if someone had logged out of that tty.
This is also a "final close", so the tty driver partially resets the
line, and drops DTR momentarily.)

This has happened for me under 2.2.2 both with and without VP/ix; my
kernel isn't nearly that big (standard+tape+Intelliport drivers(+vpix).

Good luck!

--
John Owens		SMART HOUSE Development Venture
john at jetson.UUCP	(old uucp) uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		(internet) john%jetson.uucp at uunet.uu.net