disk drive hell (aka/etc/hdinit)

Bob Palowoda palowoda at megatest.UUCP
Mon May 2 17:07:36 AEST 1988

in article <609 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) says:

> In article <25409 at clyde.ATT.COM> wtr at moss.UUCP (Bill Rankin) writes:
> ...read the keywords: "need some installation ADVICE"
>
> I can't tell you what to buy, but I CAN tell you that the Micropolis
> 1335 drive with a DTC 5380 (maybe 5280) controller tests VERY slow, as
> reported by the InfoWorld benchmark program.  And the 1335 is reputed to
> be a 28 ms drive!

   Interesting my DTC controller seems to be slow also. I started using
   a benchmark program Coretest. It on a Vertex V150 it reports 280K/Bytes/sec,
   23ms random track access, and 6ms track to track access, under MSDOS.
   I just ran the same benchmark on a friends PC with and OMTI RLL controller
   with a CDC and it reports 720K/Bytes/sec 23ms and 4ms. Opps forgot to mention   my DTC is also RLL. The OMTI could format 1 to 1. That's about 5x increase
   in data throughput at approximately the same price. Does anyone have any
   benchmark tests to measure disk IO on SCO Xenix? Also has anyone used
   RLL with SCO Xenix? If so what controllers and/or drives. Any help would
   be appreciated.

   ---Bob