AUDIT file grows in SCO Xenix UUCP

William E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at steinmetz.ge.com
Thu May 12 03:49:05 AEST 1988

In article <1610 at rpp386.UUCP> jfh at rpp386.UUCP (John F. Haugh II) writes:
>this must be the week i ask UUCP questions.
>
>i have RTFM'd and still don't know how to stop the AUDIT file from growing
>without bound, short of removing it every hour.  i removed it last night,
>and just now removed another couple hundredK file.  is this bug fixed in
>the `telebit fix disk' which SCO refuses to send me?

I don't have the problem on either my work machine (286 2.1.3) or home
(386 2.2.1), so let's look at what writes it. I *think* that it is
written when uucico is executed with debug on, and in no other case.
Look at the contents; are you calling someone else with debug on, or is
someone calling you with debug on? Could you tell them to stop?

A suggestion: having tried to connect to your machine via uucp myself, I
did more than a few connects with debug on. Perhaps the number of other
people doing so indicates that I was not the only one who had (and still
has) trouble. Therefore, create a tiny dummy uucico which checks to see
if the current user is uucp, turns off the debug flag if not, and execs
uucico. This also keeps users from looking at my L.sys file.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)