Xenix 2.1.3 slowdown on 286 clone

Stan Brown stan at sdba.UUCP
Fri May 13 08:44:25 AEST 1988

> In article <5114 at cup.portal.com> compata at cup.portal.com writes:
> | Several of my customers are running Xenix 2.1.3 on a 1 MB AT clone.  They have
> | complained that the system seems to begin running more slowly after it has
> | been up for several days.  Even to the point where response to a haltsys
> | requires ten minutes.  The problem can be easily cured by rebooting.
>
> I run as long as 20-30 days between boots on both 2.1.3 (286) and 2.2.1
> (386) systems. I see no slowdowns. I think you have something else going
> on.
>
> --
> 	bill davidsen		(wedu at ge-crd.arpa)
>   {uunet | philabs | seismo}!steinmetz!crdos1!davidsen
> "Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward" -me

	You might look for a loose cable to a terminal.  Historicaly
	on UNIX(tm) machines a loose wire here (which can send random noise
	in the port)  will drastcly slow down the system as each character
	(or what the system thinks are characters) will have to be looked
	at  by the kernel.

	Again just a thought.

--
Stan Brown	S. D. Brown & Associates	404-292-9497
gatech!sdba!stan