fixed disk error

Jack F. Vogel jack at turnkey.TCC.COM
Mon May 2 09:16:21 AEST 1988

In article <1988Apr29.151753.3956 at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> romwa at gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Mark Dornfeld) writes:

>Can anyone help with this Xenix error message?
>
>error on fixed disk (minor 40), block=16544
>Error Type 0, Code 3, Unit 0
>Write/Drive Fault
>
>.[...]
>I have run 'badtrk' already suspecting a flaw on the disk, but
>no new bad tracks appeared.

What type of drive is this? The reason I ask is that I had similar
behavior using an Atasi drive here. I would get intermittent errors
but when doing even a destructive drive scan the bad sectors would not
be found. I hate to tell you this, but eventually the drive really gave
up the ghost. It sounds like you may be experiencing a similar problem. I
would suggest you get ready to purchase a new drive for the system, or if it
is a new drive to get it replaced. The clue is you have drive errors without
definite bad sectors found, this indicates failing drive mechanics rather than
bad media. One final possibility is a failing controller. In our case the
bad drive was the second one, so the controller was extremely unlikely.

>Is there a way to find out what Cylinder/Head contains the
>suspect tracks and put them in the bad track table?

Yes, remember 17 blocks (sectors) per track times x heads per cylinder. I
believe (somebody correct me if wrong) that the blocks are numbered by
cylinder meaning head 0 - X times the 17 sectors will equal the block numbers,
then move to the next track; or track1,head0 will be block 0-16; track1,head1
will be block 17-33, etc. However, as I indicated above, I suspect you have
a creeping drive death here, and that marking indicated block errors will
not solve your problem.

					Hate to be the bearer of bad news.
						Best regards,

--
Jack F. Vogel
Turnkey Computer Consultants, Costa Mesa, CA