Writing directly to screen memory o

Every system needs one terry at wsccs.UUCP
Sat May 28 17:02:32 AEST 1988

In article <47900007 at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>Has anyone ever written directly to the screen memory with UNIX or
>>XENIX on a PC?  I know that I probably open /dev/mem and start
>>writing at the ega address space

Not really.  SCO has some calls to do this for you, including mapping the
screen memory into your address space.  See the "Xenix Runtime Environment"
manual with the "(HW)" on it.

>I am also interested in this. It appears that the cheapest way to
>get access to a 386 operating system and good C compiler is some flavor
>of Unix. I need, however, to be able to write direct to the screen
>and use the IO ports on the graphics board to do animation graphics.
>
>Doug McDonald  (mcdonald at uxe.cso.uiuc.edu)

SCO sells CGI for Xenix.  It's a little slower than a roll-your-own, and
it has been rumored that CGI stands for "Consistant Graphics Impossible";
I have used this a teeny-tiny-itsy-bitty-bit and have found it to be
reliable, with the single drawback that everything is scaled to device
units, rather than me being able to give absolute units.  I have to open it,
ask it what it's units are, close it, and open it and scale it; other
than that, it's pretty happy.  (I go through those gyrations because
I want an inch to be "an-inch-by-GOD!")

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...{ decvax, ihnp4 } ...utah-cs!century!terry |
| @ Century Software        OR: ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'Admit it!  You're just harrasing me because of the quote in my signature!' |