XBBS

Steve Manes manes at dasys1.UUCP
Tue May 31 17:33:06 AEST 1988

I won't post excerpts, just some comments.

I'm also a BBS author (Magpie/DOS and Magpie/XENIX).  And I've got Sandy's
source for XBBS here.  Okay, the code isn't suitable for framing but I've
seen no large programs that were.  However, I know Sandy's work from many
programs he's written and been kind enough to release and use some of them
regularly (like his 'CU', which I'm using now).  I consider myself a good
programmer but it was studying Sandy's code that helped ease me into the
world of Unix programming from the ho-hum existence of DOS code jockeying.
And I still find myself referring back to stuff he wrote because he's an
excellent programmer who knows Unix-under-the-hood like only a few wizards
do.  I'd recommend to anyone to download his source for XBBS even if they
have no intention of ever running a BBS.

Your comments may all be quite valid from your point of view (you may be
twice the pgmmer of either of us for all I know) but since none of the
complaints seemed to be substantial, at least insofar as the operation of
the program goes, I think the negative was overstated.  More than any other
PD/Shareware author on the Net, Sandy deserves my thanks.  I would hate to
see him get offended and stop posting his stuff.

Of course, I think Magpie is the best BBS program ever written and that my
source is gorgeous :^).  (The latter you'll have to take my word for since
I don't release source and criticisms like this don't encourage me to do
so.)
--
+-----
+ Steve Manes