Checking for new mail

Dan Heller argv%eureka at Sun.COM
Tue Aug 22 15:28:18 AEST 1989

In article <2847 at ur-cc.UUCP> Mark Sirota <msir at cc.rochester.edu> writes:
> In article <122772 at sun.Eng.Sun.COM> argv at sun.UUCP (Dan Heller) writes:
> >In article <105 at csnz.co.nz> paul at csnz.co.nz (Paul Gillingwater) writes:
> >> 	What's the best way to check for the arrival of new mail?
> >> I'm writing in C using SCO Xenix 2.3.1, but no doubt other approaches
> >> Any ideas?  Code fragments would be appreciated....
> >
> > So, I wrote a program called "watch" which watches your mailbox and,
> Similarly, I wrote a program which you call from your .forward file

The reason that I didn't choose to do it this way is because there are
some MTAs on smaller machines that don't recognize .forward.  watch is
more portable because it doesn't have this dependency.

dan <island!argv at sun.com>
-----
My postings reflect my opinion only -- not the opinion of any company.