TCP/IP Questions.....

Kenneth Van Wyk krvw at sei.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 3 21:24:21 AEST 1989

In article TCP/IP Questions..... of 2 Aug 89 06:31:28 GMT gillisb at mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Brian Gillis) writes:

>1) Has anyone attempted or know how to perform a Xenix Tar backup
>   through a TCP/IP connection from a Xenix/386 to a ibm PC with a
>   tape drive or Iomega cartridge system?

Indirectly perhaps - I used tar to create backup files, which I then
FTP'd to the VAX where I used to work.  Depending on the TCP and tape
system that's running on the PC, you should be able to transfer files
directly to a device name (e.g., CON, COM1, tape) on the PC.

>2) What incredible benefits does installing a TCP/IP network have?

Internet access.  If you don't have a direct connection, you can still
use SLIP to get to a nearby Internet node.

>I hope the answers to these questions interest others as well. While
>SCO has been making noise about their TCP/IP product, I have seen little
>information on how it can be used and implemented.

My main goal in putting TCP on my old 386 was for Internet access.  To
me, that was cause enough.

Ken