Re^2: Checking for new mail (and killing bkgnd process on logout?)

Jan B. Andersen jba at harald.ruc.dk
Wed Aug 30 18:57:07 AEST 1989

seth at ctr.columbia.edu (Seth Robertson) writes:

>In article <128 at isgtec.UUCP> bmw at isgtec.UUCP (Bruce Walker) writes:
[ in BSD systems ]
>>the process
>>disconnects from your tty and continues running ...

This has nothing to do with BSD vs Sys V. I ran into the same
problem, but TFM manual says it all:

     CSH(1B)

     SIGNAL HANDLING
	  The shell normally ignores quit signals.  Processes running
	  in background (by &) are immune to signals generated from
	  the keyboard, including hangups.  Other signals have the
	  values which the shell inherited from its parent.  The
	  shells handling of interrupts and terminate signals in shell
	  scripts can be controlled by onintr. Login shells catch the
	  terminate signal; otherwise this signal is passed on to
	  children from the state in the shell parent.	In no case are
	  interrupts allowed when a login shell is reading the file
	  .logout.

Note the line: ..., including hangups. In the Bourne shell, proceses
running in the background, will not catch SIGHUP and gets terminated
automatically when you log out.

Personally I find this behavior a bit odd. Why not use nohup(1)
instead?