Altos 586 and V20

Larry Taborek larry at macom1.UUCP
Thu Aug 10 08:01:20 AEST 1989

Heres kind of a goofy question.  I didn't really know where to
post it so I hope you xenix users arn't too miffed seeing this in
your news group.

I have a Altos 586/40.  This machine has a 8086 CPU.  I have
heard from several people that if you bought a V20 chip and
plugged it in, the Altos would pick up some speed.

Ok, I mail ordered a 10Mz V20 chip and installed it.  No go.
Wont boot up.  Sure power comes on, but I never get any of the
power up diagnostic messages.  I'v tried the reset button, power
on and off, and reseating the chip, all to no avail.  I take out
the V20 and re-install the 8086 and it comes right up.

Naturally the question is, whats wrong?  Too fast a chip?  Need
other chips to help adapt it?  Maby the V20 is bad.  Anyway, if
anyone out there has any experiece with this, I would appreciate
some mail.

Thanks Guys and Gals

Larry

--
Larry Taborek	..!uunet!grebyn!macom1!larry	Centel Federal Systems
		larry at macom1.UUCP		11400 Commerce Park Drive