Xenix probs...

Ross M. Greenberg greenber at utoday.UUCP
Sat Aug 12 00:37:31 AEST 1989

An odd problem has been hitting us here.  We run with a Compaq 386,
running the latest version of Xenix.  Computone Serial card.

About once per week, something is trashing the system. Not a panic.
Instead, it kills the tty drivers in some magical and mystical way.
First symptom is that the tty's (even the console) starts to drop characters.
Then, it loses echo.  Then, things like mail will say "not a character
device".  Occasioannly, an "stty sane" will bring things back to normal
on that one port for a while, but it will screw up rapidly again.

I'm pulling out hair trying to figure out what process is running before
the screw-up.  The only thing I can ascertain is that it almost always
happens during a UUCP connection to a remote site.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem, and (if so) what did you
do to resolve it?

Thanks!

--
Ross M. Greenberg
UNIX TODAY!             594 Third Avenue   New York   New York  10016