Problem with Xenix 2.2.1 with 2 Hard Disks

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.UUCP
Mon Aug 14 02:34:22 AEST 1989

In article <7748 at charlie.OZ>, vortex at charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
> 	The problem I am getting is that when Xenix boots and
> 	I get the familiar "Xenix Boot:" message and I enter
> 	"dos" to get it to boot from the second hard disk
> 	which is formatted under dos, it tells me that it
> 	cannot find a dos partition. It appears to me that to
> 	get xenix to boot the dos partition on the second
> 	physical drive there must be some kind of a xenix
> 	partition on that drive.

The problem is that the system must be booted from the C drive.  If you
want to boot dos, you need to put a dos partition on the c drive.  This
partition can be as small as you want it to be (as long as it contains
io.sys, msdos.sys, and command.com.  Once booted you can access the other
drive as drive D.  Another option would be to boot from a dos floppy (yuk).

I don't know of any mechanism that can be used to boot from the second
drive in a system.  If there is one I would like some info on it.