bugs in sdb ?

Bob Reineri root at raider.MFEE.TN.US
Mon Aug 7 12:39:35 AEST 1989

Has anyone out there had any experience with sdb ? I can't seem to get most
of the commands to work as displayed in the tutorial (C Users Guide manual).

I compiled and linked the program with the -g option. I then ran it, like:

                          sdb prognam - /source/directory

It came up fine. But the program seems to choke on *many* of the things
the tutorial demonstrates. For example:

Command   Supposed To                                 What it does
-------   -------------------------------------       --------------------
@ax       Display a single register value.             symbol not found.
*/        Display all vars in current function.        error ?
*:*/      Display all vars for all calls on stack      error ?

This is a small sampling. Among the other major annoyances I encounter are
the fact that it *never* recognizes pointers. I can't get it to do anything
with a pointer value but print 'symbol not found'. Yet if I issue a 'w'
command, I'm sitting there looking at it in the source code.

Am I doing something wrong here ? This *is* the first time I've ever used
it - but all I'm trying to do is follow the tutorial. I'm almost certain
that I did everything correctly.

The command just doesn't seem to work as documented. Can someone confirm
this, or tell me what I may be doing wrong ? The OS is Xenix Sys V 3.2.1,
and the machine has the latest development system update installed. It's
running on a Tandy 4000.

Thanks for any help. Please email if possible.

Bob
--
* RaiderNet Public Access    *Middle Tenn's Unix Gateway*   Murfreesboro, TN *
* Data:(615)896-8716 896-7905 Voice:(615)684-4490 Mail:PO Box 2371 Zip 37133 *
* Domain: root at raider.MFEE.TN.US UUCP: {ames,decwrl,mit-eddie}!killer!raider *