uport, UNIX V/386 and bad sectors

Dave Remien dave at pmafire.UUCP
Fri Aug 4 15:38:17 AEST 1989

In article <2342 at wyse.wyse.com> bob at wyse.UUCP (Bob McGowen Wyse Technology
Training) writes:
>Regarding the 64 bad sectors, is this per system (across all hard disks),
>per hard disk or per filesystem.  [stuff deleted]

Microport, and Bell Tech both supported a max of *56* bad sectors on an
entire disk.  The number in mkpart(1m) is given as 62, but everything
blows up if you get past 56.  (I found this out as I was going thru 3
ESDI controller cards, trying to get a Maxtor 4380E to run under
Microport).  Interestingly enough, the man page for V/386 3.2 mkpart(1m)
still indicates that 62 is the max, in spite of the "automatic" bad
sector sparing.

BTW, I wound up with a DTC 6280 controller with my Maxtor (128 bad
sectors 8-( ), and it works great, though I'd recommend not using uPort's
mkpart to add or check on bad sectors; it starts scribbling all over the
place and trashes the root file system beyond recovery. I made it
non-executable, just to keep myself from making a mess again 8-).

Disclaimer - I'm just a user, don't work for 'em.

--
Dave Remien - WINCO Computer Eng. Group -{uunet | bigtex}!pmafire!dave-
"And who's birthday is today?"     "Why, nobody, Hugh" 		(Firesign