serials printers with Xenix 2.3.2

James O'Connor jim at bahamut.fsc.com
Thu Aug 10 04:20:31 AEST 1989

Is there a special stty setting that must be turned on (or off) to get a
serial port to use DTR handshaking with a serial printer?  Should I use
/dev/tty1G instead of /dev/tty1g?

In the absence of DTR handshaking, what is the best way to set a serial
printer up to do XON/XOFF handshaking?  With the way I have it set now, with a
line like:

stty 9600 opost ixon 0<&1

in lp/interface/billing, the interface script just stops printing at some
point (while there are still jobs in the Q).  Turning the printer off/on
doesn't help (I don't think it sends an XON at power up, it's an Oki 293
printer).  The only way to fix it is to run "lpshut", realign the printer,
then run "lpsched".  This is no fun when printing invoices or checks.  If the
print was close enough, I'd put in another parallel port and use it, but
it is too far away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
--jim
James B. O'Connor			Work:	jim at tiamat.fsc.com
Filtration Sciences --			Play:   jim at bahamut.fsc.com
A division of Ahlstrom			UUCP:	uunet!tiamat!jim