Comms Program For Xenix

Bruce A. McIntyre bruce at mdi386.UUCP
Tue Aug 29 12:04:10 AEST 1989

In article <825 at omen.UUCP>, caf at omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg) writes:
> In article <7765 at charlie.OZ> vortex at charlie.OZ (Mark Gregson) writes:
> :	Hi, I run a Xenix system at home and I'd very much like to
> :	find a communications program that will run under xenix and
> :	have the following functions.
> :	Good, reliable script system allowing me to write scripts to
> :	instruct the system to call remote systems and collect data.
> :	Zmodem protocol is also a must with this program.
> :	If anyone knows or has a program with the above requirements
> :	please leave a comment in this news area.
>
> The only comms program for Xenix with full ZMODEM is Professional-YAM.
>
> Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
> Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
> 17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
> TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

TERM from Century Software does it too.  And more important for our uses,
it works the same on PC-DOS, UNIX, XENIX, CTOS, VMS and SUNOS (aux comming)
and McIntosh

The interface is consistent between all of the environments... A very
complete communications system.  I use it every day in support of customers
systems.

* Term offers full emulation of VT102, VT52, VT220, Televideo 912/925, Wyse 50
  ANSI 3.64 (plus some others).

* Both Batch and Interactive file transfers using xmodem, ymodem, zmodem,
  kermit and terms own termCRC.

* Built it dialing routines for Hayes, Racal-Vadic, Smartcat, Tandy, AT&T 4024,
  Microcom SX, and ability to write your own for other modems.

* UUCP-compatible lock files, and handles bi-directional (dialin/dialout)
  communication lines without conflict with UNIX login

* Multiple Modem and/or phone support to provide alternate paths

* Acess to remote modem servers over Ethernet

* An extensive (and extensible) script language that gives ability to create
  true distributed applications.  They can run any system command on either
  end of the communications link.

* Remapable control keys if they conflict with other applications.

from:
Century Software
5284 South 320 West, Suite C294
Salt Lake City, Utah 84107