Configuring Xenix

Ivar Hosteng ivar at acc.uu.no
Thu Aug 31 03:25:15 AEST 1989

jcw at jwren.UUCP (John C. Wren) writes:

>In article <200959 at neabbs.UUCP> richard at neabbs.UUCP writes:
>>[ Xenix kernel from 530K to 230K ]
>>
>>If you haven't got any fancy stuff like X/Windows or TCP/IP linked in
>>your kernel, 230K is about the right size.
>>
>>I wonder how you ever got the 530K kernel...

>One thing I have noticed is that the sysadm shell script for linking a new
>kernel is not the same as the /usr/sys/conf/sys/link_xenix script.  I seem
>to recall that the sysadm script does not do a strip on the newly generated
>kernel... Perhaps this could be it?

Stripping the kernel is not wery smart. By doing this you makes it impossible
for the ps, wmstat and the w command (and more, I dont remember them all)
to find the user & proc structures inside the kernel image. This means they
will fail. My Xenix file is 324002 bytes long and I have all multiscreens
enabled by default.

--
Ivar E. Hosteng,	Advanced Computer Consultans, Oslo, Norway
Internet:		ivar at acc.uu.no
UUCP:			...!{uunet,mcvax,ifi}!acc.uu.no!ivar
'Just what do you think you are doing Dave?'	-HAL9000