SCO 386 rsh problem

N. Del More noel at ubbs-nh.MV.COM
Sun Aug 20 16:20:07 AEST 1989

In article <5102 at viscous.sco.COM> rosso at sco.com (Ross Oliver) writes:
>This is not correct.  The rsh(C) manual entry states:
>
>    When invoked with the name -rsh [as is done by /etc/login], rsh
>    reads the user's .profile.  It acts as the standard shell while
>    doing this....  The restrictions above [i.e. forbidding changes
>    to PATH] are enforced after .profile is interpreted.
>
>"/bin:/usr/bin" is the default if PATH is not set in .profile.  However,
>if PATH is set in .profile, the path will be correctly restricted.  I
>verified on a 2.3.2 system that this is indeed the behavior of rsh.

A public apology to Russ, and SCO, is in order here.  I don't know what
happened, but I was unable to override the default path as described in
my original article.  However, I did test the configuration once again
and it did work as described.  I can only assume that it had something to
do with me, my system, or a full moon  B-)

So, seeing as how that SNAFU has been straightened out, would someone
please be kind enough to steer me in the correct direction insofar as how
I should set things up to restrict users.

What I am trying to do is to allow others to access the system for the
purposes of reading news, replying to same, general mail useage, access
to the archives, and use of some of the application programs on the
system.

What I have done so far is to create a seperate directory (/usr/rbin)
that will contain the programs that I will allow them to use, however, I
am running into difficuties in that very often the program will not work
correctly, usually because it calls or redirects input from another
program.

elm and mail are two that come to mind right off.

Anyway, I'd be very grateful to hear what your solution or suggestions
might be.

Thanks!
Noel