Xenix probs...

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Wed Aug 23 23:27:15 AEST 1989

In article <694 at vector.Dallas.TX.US> chip at vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>                                .....  but too many times I've run into
>peecee vendors who don't think it's broke unless it breaks under DOS.

Local Nynex won a contract to supply machines for a local community college
that I do some work for.  Had an IBM-80 under SCO Xenix, that when told for
format a disk, would turn on its drive light, hum away merrily, count down the
cylinder, and finish - ALL WITH NO DISK IN THE DRIVE.

Called the sales weenie - told the problem.  Was asked "does it work under
DOS". Answer "yes".  Reply "Then it's a Xenix problem, we can't help you!"

After losing my temper when they didn't seem to understand me when I told them
"But I have an indetical machine next to it that works properly" - I finally
called IBM, told them about their dweebie dealer, and they got the dealer
straightened out and had them replace the drive.

You remark is "too often ..." - I feel it is more like "almost always" unless
you are dealing with someone who understands multi-user machines.
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP