(SCO) TCP/IP, NFS vs locking

RICHARD RONTELTAP richard at neabbs.UUCP
Wed Aug 16 01:57:40 AEST 1989

In a recent issue of one of the popular computer magazines (I think it
was Byte), I read something potentialy distressing.

It went someting like:
"Because NFS is stateless, it doesn't support locking directly.
Locking is implemented using separate lock managers ..."

Does this mean that NFS does *NOT* support standard System V locking?
Will I have to buy a new version of C-ISAM, or kludge around it with
a custom file-lock over a LAN, before using C-ISAM functions?

(C-ISAM, for those who don't know it, is a Btree package, adopted by
X/Open as a standard, and incorporated into Informix SQL)

The NFS is a main reason for us to upgrade from SCO XENIX to SCO UNIX.
But if everything has to be done by hand...

Does SCO have (will SCO have) AT&T's RFS? This, though less popular
than NFS, should provide completely transparant services on remote
UNIX machines.

Any hints grately appreciated! If you've just bought SCO UNIX, please
share your experiences on the Net. I think most readers of this group
will be interested.

Greetings from Holland,
Richard
(...!hp4nl!neabbs!richard)