Minimal H/W configuration??? (Terminal Server?)

Ronald Khoo ronald at ibmpcug.co.uk
Thu Aug 31 19:42:59 AEST 1989

In article <1127 at ispi.UUCP> jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) writes:
>yap at me.utoronto.ca (Davin Yap) writes:
>
>>1)  Is it viable to run Xenix without a HD, even with no entries in the
>>    crontab (geez I don't even know if Xenix has a crontab :-), and just
>>    the bare minimum of processes running?  I'd like to use one perhaps
>>    two 1.44 meg drives.
>
>No.  You need a hard disk even if it is a slow 10 meg drive.

Really?  I sometimes run without a hard disk at all... in multi-user to
boot.

Doesn't do much, though, just lets them log in, and tells them the
machine is down for the day.  But getty, login, cat, etc.... all running
happily on a single 1.2Mb floppy Xenix multi-user system :-)

With 2 1.44 Mb drives, I figure I could actually run a service :-)
--
Ronald.Khoo at ibmpcug.CO.UK (The IBM PC User Group, PO Box 360, Harrow HA1 4LQ)
Small is beautiful, but small & broken is ugly--(Marty)Leisner.Henr at Xerox.COM