HPUX->SCO Xenix UUCP PROBLEM (long)

Dean Lane kdl at ntcsd1.UUCP
Mon Aug 7 23:13:10 AEST 1989

##############
Sorry for such a long article but I wanted to try and provide all pertinent
information.

I am having a problem with UUCP.  We have two boxes here: a Zenith 386
computer, ATSERVER, running SCO Xenix 2.3.1 and an HP 9000 840, NTCSD1,
running HP-UX 3.1. I have been trying to get UUCP to work between these
two machines for almost three weeks.  Both systems are using HDB UUCP.
I have set up the UUCP System files (e.g. Devices, Systems, Permissions )
and can cu freely between machines.  I am just trying to send files. I
am not doing remote requests for files.  Transferring files works fine
as long as the HP calls the PC.  If the PC calls the HP, then the transfer
fails every time.

UUCPing files from the HP to the PC works fine if the HP makes the call.
Queuing files on the PC to be sent to the HP and then polling the PC from
the HP using /usr/lib/uucp/uuretry works fine.  UUCPing files from the PC
to the HP fails EVERY TIME if the PC makes the call.

Transferring from PC -> HP where the PC calls the HP:

PC uulog -

uucp ntcsd1  (7/27-12:25:18,116,0) SUCCEEDED (call to ntcsd1 )
uucp ntcsd1  (7/27-12:25:21,116,0) OK (startup)
kdl ntcsd1 ntcsd1N0412 (7/27-12:25:21,116,0) REQUEST (atserver!/usr/spool/
  uucppublic/ckucmd.h --> ntcsd1!/usr/spool/uucppublic (kdl))
(Sometimes I get this next line)
kdl ntcsd1 ntcsd1N0414 (7/27-XX:XX:XX,XXX,1) BAD READ (expected 'S' got FAIL)
(Sometimes I get this next line)
kdl ntcsd1 ntcsd1N0414 (7/27-XX:XX:XX,XXX,1) BAD READ (expected 'C' got FAIL)
(Most of the time I get neither of the above lines)
kdl ntcsd1 ntcsd1N0412 (7/27-12:27:02,116,1) FAILED (conversation complete)

HP uulog -

uucp atserver  (7/27-12:26:13,5363,0) OK (startup)
uucp atserver  (7/27-12:26:14,5363,0) REMOTE REQUESTED (atserver!/usr/spool/
  uucppublic/ckucmd.h --> ntcsd1!/usr/spool/uucppublic (kdl))
kdl atserver  (7/27-12:27:55,5363,1) IN SEND/SLAVE MODE (INPUT FAILURE)
kdl atserver  (7/27-12:27:55,5363,1) FAILED (conversation complete)

After doing a uucico -r1 -x9 -sntcsd1 from the PC, I found that the
the PC was entering the Send File routine.  It sends three packets
of information and then starts timing out waiting for a NAK.  It times
out ten times and then fails.  It does the same with any file I try to
send, whether big or small.

Strange thing about all of this is that the first day I set up UUCP,
it worked (2 or 3 times) in both directions.  The next day the PC
refused to be the leader in a transfer.

Has anyone heard of any incompatibility between SCO Xenix HDB UUCP and
HP-UX HDB UUCP or the rest of the world?

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

The Following was captured from doing a ( uucico -r1 -x9 -sntcsd1 ) on the
PC after the file was queued to uucp on the PC  by the following command:
( uucp -r atserver!/u/kdl/ckucmd.h ntcsd1!/u/kdl/public )

**** PC : uucico DEBUG output ****
mchFind called (ntcsd1)
list (rmail) num = 1
fillFlds: entered
fillFlds: returning
list (/) num = 1
list (/) num = 1
list (rmail) list (rnews) list (uucp) list (uux) num = 4
_Request (TRUE), _Switch (TRUE), _CallBack (FALSE), _MyName (), _Commands rmail
_Commands rnews
_Commands uucp
_Commands uux
chdir(/usr/spool/uucp/ntcsd1)
conn(ntcsd1)
Device Type ACU wanted
mlock tty1A succeeded
fixline(5, 2400)
gdial(hayes2400) called
expect: ("")
got it
sendthem (ATQ0E0T&D2&C1S0=0X4S2=043^M)
expect: (OK^M)
^M^JOK^Mgot it
sendthem (ATDT8963^M)
expect: (Speed)
^J^M^JCONNECT 2400got it
getto ret 5
expect: ("")
got it
sendthem (^M^M)
expect: (ogin:)
^M^J^M^M^JNORTHERN TELECOM Customer Service Systems |D1|^M^J^Mlogin:got it
sendthem (atuucp^M)
expect: (word:)
 atuucp^M^M^JPassword:got it
sendthem (PASSWORDPASS^M)
ISTRIP cleared
imsg >^M^J^PShere=ntcsd1^@Login Successful: System=ntcsd1
omsg "Satserver -Q0 -x9"
imsg >^PROK^@msg-ROK
 Rmtname ntcsd1, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 5, Loginuser - kdl
rmesg - 'P' imsg >^PPgfx^@got Pgfx
wmesg 'U'g
omsg "Ug"
send 73
pkgetpack: Connodata=1
rec h->cntl 73
send 61
state - [INIT code a] (1)
pkgetpack: Connodata=2
rec h->cntl 61
send 53
state - [INIT code a]&[INIT code b] (3)
pkgetpack: Connodata=3
rec h->cntl 53
state - [O.K.] (10)
Proto started g
*** TOP ***  -  role=1, setline - X
gtwvec: dir /usr/spool/uucp/ntcsd1
insert(C.ntcsd1N0413)  insert C.ntcsd1N0413 at 0
        return - 8
Wfile - /usr/spool/uucp/ntcsd1/C.ntcsd1N0413,Jobid = ntcsd1N0413
Request: atserver!/u/kdl/public/ckucmd.h --> ntcsd1!/u/kdl/public (kdl)
setline - S
wrktype - S
 wmesg 'S' /u/kdl/public/ckucmd.h /u/kdl/public kdl -dc D.0 666 kdl
send 177610
rmesg - 'S' pkgetpack: Connodata=4
rec h->cntl 41
pkcntl: RR/RJ: Connodata=0
state - [O.K.] (10)
pkgetpack: Connodata=1
rec h->cntl 177611
send 41
got SY
 PROCESS: msg - SY
SNDFILE:
send 177621
send 177631
send 177641
alarm 1
send 177621
alarm 2
send 177621
alarm 3
send 177621
alarm 4
send 177621
alarm 5
send 177621
alarm 6
send 177621
alarm 7
send 177621
alarm 8
send 177621
alarm 9
send 177621
alarm 10
send 177621
tries = 10
send 177631
send 177641
send 10
send 10
cntrl - -1
omsg "OOOOOO"
send OO 0,omsg "OOOOOO"
imsg >^POOOOOO^@exit code -1
Conversation Complete: Status FAILED

TM_cnt: 0
**** END OF UUCICO PC OUTPUT ****

The Following was captured from doing a ( uucico -r1 -x9 -satserver ) on the
HP after the file was queued to uucp on the PC  by the following command:
( uucp -r atserver!/u/kdl/ckucmd.h ntcsd1!/u/kdl/public )

**** HP : uucico DEBUG output ****
conn(atserver)
Device Type ACUHAYESSMART wanted
fixline - direct
gdial(hayes) called
expect: ("")
got it
expect: (OK^M)
ATZ^M^J^M^JOK^Mgot it
expect: (OK^M)
^JAT^M^M^JOK^Mgot it
^JATDT7652^Mexpect: (CONNECT)
^M^JCONNECTgot it
getto ret 6
expect: ("")
got it
expect: (login:)
 2400^M^J^M^M^J^M^Jatserver!login:got it
expect: (ssword:)
 Untcsd1^M^JPassword:got it
Login Successful: System=atserver
msg-ROK
 Rmtname atserver, Role MASTER,  Ifn - 6, Loginuser - kdl
rmesg - 'P' got Pg
wmesg 'U'g
Proto started g
*** TOP ***  -  role=1, setline - X
wmesg 'H'
rmesg - 'H' got HN
 PROCESS: msg - HN
HUP:
*** TOP ***  -  role=0, setline - X
rmesg - '' got S /u/kdl/public/ckucmd.h /u/kdl/public kdl -dc D.0 666 kdl
 PROCESS: msg - S /u/kdl/public/ckucmd.h /u/kdl/public kdl -dc D.0 666 kdl
SNDFILE:
msg - S
Remote Requested: atserver!/u/kdl/public/ckucmd.h --> ntcsd1!/u/kdl/public (kdl)
SLAVE - filename: /u/kdl/public
chkpth ok Rmtname - atserver
wmesg 'S'Y
<- 1805 / 9.300 secs
full /u/kdl/public/ckucmd.h
wmesg 'C'Y
*** TOP ***  -  role=0, setline - X
rmesg - '' got H
 PROCESS: msg - H
HUP:
SLAVE-switchRole (TRUE)
wmesg 'H'Y
rmesg - 'H' got HY
 PROCESS: msg - HY
HUP:
wmesg 'H'Y
cntrl - 0
send OO 0,exit code 0
Conversation Complete: Status SUCCEEDED
**** END OF UUCICO HP OUTPUT ****

HP                             PC
-----------------------------  -----------------------------------
                               % uucp -r file HP!file
                               % uucico -r1 -x9 -sHP

                               PC Dials and gets logged into the HP.

                               "I've got a file to send to you"
"Ok what is the name of the
  file?"
                               "It is called file"
"Ok send it"
                               "OK"
                               PC sends packet ONE.
                               PC sends packet TWO.
                               PC sends packet THREE.
                               "Did you get that?"
HP never responds again,
  even though carrier
  is never lost.
                               PC times out waiting for a response.
                               PC sends packet ONE.

                               PC times out waiting for a response.
                               PC sends packet ONE.

                               PC does this seven more times and then
                                  drops the connection.

% uucico -r1 -x9 -sPC

HP Dials and gets logged into the HP.

"I don't have anything for
   you do you have anything
   for me?"
                               "Yes I have a file called 'file'"
"Ok Send it to me"
                               "Ok Here it goes"
                               PC Sends the packets and HP accepts them.
"Thanks for the file"
                               "No problem, call again"
"Bye"
                               "Bye"