SCO Xenix 2.3.2 uucp bug?

Ed Hew edhew at xenitec.uucp
Tue Aug 22 16:41:24 AEST 1989

In article <106 at ubbs-nh.MV.COM> noel at ubbs-nh.MV.COM (N. Del More) writes:
>I believe I may have discovered a bug in SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT's uucp.
>I have a connection whose system name is eight characters in length,
>however, uucp shortens the system name to seven characters, ie. any mail
>or files sent to "trashbin" are qued up as "trashbi".

I am aware of a certain limit imposed by some uucp systems, I will
leave it to others to comment on this.  This is probably not the
problem (assuming you're talking about the prefix of the filenames
in /usr/spool/uucp/<spooldir>).

>At any rate, this is causing consistent core dumps and communication
>failure (at least I am attributing them to this problem at this time).

It is a know bug that the 2.3.2 uusched is slightly broken.  While you
haven't explicitely stated that you use 'uusched', most people do.  If
you are one of these, simply use custom to bring back the uusched from
your 2.3.1 uucp distribution media (or tar if you prefer), and your core
dumps should cease.  Mine did.

>Has anyone else experianced this problem and is their a fix, patch or
>short term work around?

I also understand that SCO will shortly have an SLF for this.
Give them a call.

>Thanks!
>Noel

  Ed. A. Hew       Authorized Technical Trainer        Xeni/Con Corporation
  work:  edhew at xenicon.uucp	 -or-	 ..!{uunet!}utai!lsuc!xenicon!edhew
->home:	 edhew at egvideo.uucp	 -or-	   ..!{uunet!}watmath!egvideo!edhew
->home:	 changing to:  edhew at xenitec.uucp     [but be patient for new maps]