Computone serial boards (was DigiComm)

Michael R. Johnston mikej at lilink.UUCP
Sun Aug 20 02:41:21 AEST 1989

chip at ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

>According to root at nstar.UUCP (Larry Snyder):
>>Computone boards seem very popular with Xenix users.

>Not this Xenix user.

>My company bundled (past tense) Computone Intelliport-6 boards with our
>Xenix-based systems.  Our field return rate on Intelliport-6's has been
>greater than 50%.  That's right:  More than half of them returned on their
>shields.

This has not been my experience with Computones. I've installed 10
of them in our franchise offices over the past 6 months and to date
have not had a single problem with any of them. The only problem that
I uncovered was trouble using them (Intelliports) in an HP Vectra
RS-20c (with caching). I called them about the problem and they promptly
sent me an updated device driver.

I consider the boards strongpoint to be the fact that it can be configured
almost entirely through software. The only jumper that need be set on the
motherboard is the interupt # and even that I've never had to set.

I've used all the boards from the 4 porter to the 16 port unit. They are
utilized with interactive terminals and Hayes 2400 modems.

--
Michael R. Johnston
System Administrator                           rutgers!lilink!mikej