SCO Xenix 286 2.3 Kernel - Mult Data Seg?

John Campbell soup at penrij.UUCP
Wed Dec 13 14:17:35 AEST 1989

In article <251 at melpar.UUCP>, toppin at melpar.UUCP (Doug Toppin) writes:
> We are running SCO Xenix 2.2.3 on the 286.
> I am having trouble with kernel configuration parameters
> making the kernel too large to link. I have had to reduce
> the parameters to significantly smaller values than are
> the defaults. This is due to adding several vendor drivers for
> multiport card, windowing, and network. One of the vendors
> has said that the Xenix 2.3 solves this problem but didn't know how.
> A tech support person at SCO told me that 2.3 would make no difference.
> I would like confirmation of this from anyone that has had
> similar problems or knows anything about it. If you are aware of
> anything along this line please drop me a line.
> thanks
> Doug Toppin
> uunet!melpar!toppin

	XENIX 2.2+ and 2.3+ both use a deviant of MIDDLE model;  In fact,
	some of the data actually _does_ live in additional data segments.

	I suspect that the drivers you are using are sucking up too much of
	that "NEAR" space in the kernel.

	Look at your SABUFS parameter in your /usr/sys/conf/xenixconf and
	/usr/sys/conf/master files.  This is the number of NEAR buffers.
	Also, look at the number of mounts your system is allowing-
	these block live in near space.  Please be aware that each of
	these buffers are 1K in size for a XENIX system.

	Other things to look at are the number of screens (I'm not sure
	where they live) and hash buffer sizes.

	Tuning is a series of compromises compromised by compromises.
	Expect a LOT of having a /xenix.keep which runs but which you
	won't blow away so that you've got something to fall back on.
	I've had people need my little special boot diskette to get an
	O/S back when they blew away the one which worked...

	YOU DO NOT WANT the 2.3+ development system (If it ever sees the
	light of day).  It uses Microsoft's C 5.0+ compiler which
	emulates intergalactic vacuum;  it generates decent 386 code
	but has got serious problems with anything less than a 386.

--
 John R. Campbell					  (soup at penrij.LS.COM)
 1438 Schoolhouse Road		Perkasie, PA 18944		(215) 453-8177