Why is wtmp so big?

Aris Stathakis aris at tabbs.UUCP
Fri Dec 1 20:35:17 AEST 1989

>From article <1226 at ispi.UUCP>, by jbayer at ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer):
} rfarris at serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) writes:
}
}>Is this a "log" file, composed of numerous /etc/utmp entries?  Can I
}>truncate it by copying /etc/utmp to it?  Can I delete it altogether,
}>and let it recreate itself?
}
} If you delete it then it will not be recreated.  You can truncate it by
} either copying /etc/utmp to it, or by copying /dev/null to it.

Is there perhaps any program out there ther truncates the /etc/wtmp
file to the 100 most recent entries?

Since it is a binary file, this is no trivial task.

Thanks in advance.

Aris

--
Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris at tabbs.UUCP
         - Gimme a beer and money sandwich....  Hold the bread -