SCO Support

Phil Hughes fyl at ssc.UUCP
Fri Dec 1 07:03:06 AEST 1989

In article <251 at consult.UUCP>, bob at consult.UUCP (Bob Willey) writes:

> 3. You may have a problem of the diskettes being destroyed inadvertenly,
>    ala...  X-ray at your regional post office, or UPS center, or FEDex,
>    or whoever the shipper was.  You could have had extreme temperature
>    or humidity exposed to them.  The package could have been dropped in
>    a sink of water.  Who knows..  But the bottom line is that the SCO
>    distributions seem to be pretty solid from most angles.  I have seen
>    several messages like mine, that people are not experiencing problems.

I have received lots of diskettes from SCO and other vendors.  I have
never had a problem with a diskette from SCO.  I did have one diskette
that was crushed (from another vendor).  I cut it out of the envelope,
stuck it into another and read it ok.

On the other hand, we have had problems with diskettes sent to others
(we sell software).  It has happened with both UPS and USPS shipments.
The funny thing is it seems to happen is spurts.  We may have no problems
for a year and then quite a few shipments in one month will be wiped out.
I haven't managed to trace it to anything (like weather or phase of the
moon) but it seems real strange.
--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
    amc-gw!ssc!fyl or uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl