Experience with SCO UNIX 5.3

Andrew P. Mullhaupt amull at Morgan.COM
Wed Dec 13 16:47:14 AEST 1989

In article <5760 at cps3xx.UUCP>, usenet at cps3xx.UUCP (Usenet file owner) writes:
> From article <157 at metaware.metaware.com>, by ken at metaware.metaware.com (ken):
> > I would like to mention that I
> > think there installation process really stinks.
>
> I would think that someone selling a product which requires 40MB disk
> 3MB RAM, and a 386 CPU and is distributed on 23 1.2MB floppies would
> realize that someone who can afford all of that probably has a tape
> drive that can read 60MB DC600A (I forget the exact QIC number) or
> DC2000 tapes. Why doesn't SCO sell a distribution that comes with one
> floppy and one tape. Insert both and boot, answer a few questions and
> then leave for an hour or whatever it takes the tape to spin.....

Well some of us have more stuff than that but the UNIX box isn't a
high enough priority to have the tape drive unit. Now of all people
(considering my postings about the agony of my distribution media)
you'd think I would like another option. On the contrary - I shudder
to think about installing UNIX off a tape across my LAN. One
never knows, - do one?

Later,
Andrew "Antimagnetic" Mullhaupt

P. S. There's always paper tape or punch cards - you can't demagnetize
them...
(:-))