Smokin' Serial Port Boards

Wolf Kozel wlk at raider.MFEE.TN.US
Fri Dec 22 05:40:14 AEST 1989

In article <421 at hitech.ht.oz>, clyde at hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:

> For a really smart, fast serial board, take a look at Anvil Designs
> Stallion board. I have an 8 port board (expandable to 16 ports and you can
> have four boards per system) and I am very happy with it. The only complaint
> is that because not all the modem control signals are supported you have
> to connect the CD line to the DSR pin on the port.

I agree that the Stallion is smart, but it is not fast. On our in-house
benchmarks which were the Anvil benchmarks as modified by Specialix,
Anvil came in behind: 1)Equinox 1)Arnet 2)Computone 3)Digiboard.  They
finished behind our Multiport board at speeds less than 38.4 K baud
as far as speed.    Our Multi[port is a dumb board.

Anvil does a much better job of off-loading the host cpu.  They do
real well in those tests.  They also make some good software enhancements
with crocodile and monitor.

Wolf Kozel
Arnet Corporation

ps since know john of specialix reads this, we didn't have one of
his boards to bench, but I suspect it would have done well...