Smokin' Serial Port Boards

Bill Vermillion bill at bilver.UUCP
Sun Dec 24 06:52:08 AEST 1989

In article <1989Dec22.031406.3122 at ddsw1.MCS.COM-> karl at mcs.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) writes:
->In article <421 at hitech.ht.oz> clyde at hitech.ht.oz (Clyde Smith-Stubbs) writes:
->>
->>For a really smart, fast serial board, take a look at Anvil Designs
->>Stallion board. I have an 8 port board (expandable to 16 ports and you can

->We have one of these boards for sale.
->8 ports.  Driver versions 2.1.7, 2.4.2, 2.4.1, 2.5 beta.
->It works.  Complete, with manual.  About 8-9 months old.
->It is >not< perfect.  We have noted some strangeness with modems (it has
->trouble supporting multiple Telebits).  Works great with terminals though.

I have a site that has the Anvil Onboard.  Got a hit and blew some ports so we
got a new one for replacement.  The old board was a 10Mhz design, the new one
is 16Mhz.  Don't have any modem experience on this one, but the terminals at
38k under the new board are "zippier" than the same terminals at 38k on the
old board.  Definately a faster board - and new drivers are due for it soon to
improve performance.  (Of course they HAVE to say that don't they?)

With serial boards being a very competitive item right now all the board mfrs
seem to be trying to outdo the competition.
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!tarpit!bilver!bill
                      : bill at bilver.UUCP