Adaptec SCSI Controller and 386/ix

Hubert Eing/Hubert Eing Textilveredlung eing at cosmo.UUCP
Fri Dec 22 03:25:26 AEST 1989

I have added a 2nd drive (Fujitsu M2614S SCSI 3 1/2") and a
Cipher SCSI Streamer ST150S to a Compaq 386/20. The Controller is
Adaptec 1542 A.
1 st. Question : The installation of the drive was quite easy, no
formatting errors nor verifying errors, no problems with making
file systems and no problem with  mounting the file systems.
But when I copied some files to the drive, I got sometimes the
error message :
              *** Uncorrectable data error in sector ***
or, when the controller is configured for no auto-sense :
              *** Unknown error in sector ... ***.
Are there some explanations for this behaviour ? Do I have to set
the jumpers on the Adaptec other than the default ?

2 nd. Question : I have not installed the Cipher yet. Are there some
known problems with this streamer ?

Thanks for help in advance

Paul Abbing