SCO Xenix 2.3.2 GT -- Info/Help

Doug Thompson norsk at sequent.UUCP
Wed Dec 6 03:50:31 AEST 1989

In article <2882 at ucrmath.UCR.EDU> gumby at ucrmath.UUCP (john donahue) writes:

> (deleted)
>	I have heard about this new version called 2.3.2 GT and would like to
>know more about it from those of you who have this version and are using
>it in conjunction with SCSI drives. One place that I called told me that
>to purchase this GT version, I would be charged extra. I am wondering if
>that is really fair: or more appropriately; whether it truly is an
>extension that SCO charges for and is thus warranted. I don't mind paying
>for it if that is the case, but if this "GT" version (which, as far as I
>know is merely 2.3.2 with SCSI drivers) is just a simple patch you can
>get for free, then I'd like to tell this vendor that I want to buy just
>"plain old" 2.3.2 and then get this "patch" myself. If not, and there
>really is more to it than that, then I'll pay the extra amount and order
>to "full" 2.3.2 GT. Who out there can tell me how they got their "GT"
>version, and how much it cost (if anything) and anything else you
>can think of that I might want to know?

The GT version is not just a patch. The GT version allows the user to boot
off a standard WD-like controller and/or an Adaptec AHA-154xA controller
(that is the SCSI controller). I believe they also have an ESDI
controller driver that is bootable. Its not very easy to get the
Kernel to boot off a device other than the WD-like controllers due
to the many assumptions that we made when Xenix was being built.
SCO fixed these assumptions with a kernel that is more general in
nature as to which device to boot from. After doing a driver for
Xenix for a removeable disk drive, I have appreciation for the
work involved in getting a kernel to boot off of several devices
and make that decision at boot time. These features are
extra under XENIX 2.3.x for the GT version and cost abt $100
more. But its worth it. Under SCO UNIX V/386 3.2 these
features are standard and then some.

The SCSI controller is the above mentioned AHA-154xA (where
the 'x' is 0 for No floppy support or 2 for floppy controller
on the card)

--
Douglas Thompson		UUCP: ..{tektronix,ogcvax,uunet}!sequent!norsk
Sequent Computer Systems	Phone: (503) 526-5727