Multiple CPUs: was: Re: Experience with SCO UNIX 5.3

Paul E. Berg paulb at zds-ux.UUCP
Sat Dec 23 06:36:16 AEST 1989

In article <1951 at crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen at crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
> In article <103254 at ti-csl.csc.ti.com> markus at ti.com (Markus N. Richardson) writes:
>
> | Any information whose UNIX kernel SCO is licensing this time around?  Or
> | is this a flavor of the ISC System V.3.2 UNIX one?
>
>   The kernel seems to be Xenix 386. I believe that the company who did
> the port is called CONSENSYS, but I don't have the info right here. The
> port was done for the Zenith Z-1000 multiprocessor system.

Quoting the Nov/Dec 1989 DiSCOver (SCO Newsletter) article on SCO MPX:
"SCO MPX is based on multiprocessing software technology developed by
Corollary, Inc.  Through a joint development agreement with SCO, this
technology has been adapted to become the standard multiprocessing
extension for SCO Operating Systems."

MPX will be installed by invoking the "Add a Supported Product" function
in custom(ADM) after you have installed SCO UNIX System V/386.  MPX is
not XENIX based; the Corollary technology has been re-implemented as an
extension of SCO's standard UNIX 3.2 product.

SCO started with the AT&T UNIX System V/386 flavor to which it added C2
security and POSIX FIPS compliance (among other features).

The Zenith Z-1000 is shipping with a XENIX 2.3.2 GT based operating
system developed by Corollary, SCO, and Zenith Data Systems.  When
SCO MPX becomes available it will support "... OEM designs based on the
Corollary's 386/smp and 486/smp machines [and] ... the Zenith Z1000."
as per the Nov/Dec 1989 DiSCOver article.
--
Paul E. Berg (...uunet!zds-ux!paulb)