Xenix 386-AT vs. 386-GT

Dave Hammond daveh at marob.masa.com
Mon Dec 4 05:18:06 AEST 1989

In article <3399 at cbnewsd.ATT.COM> snelson at cbnewsd.ATT.COM writes:
>My reseller originally ordered the 386-AT version for me, but it
>absolutely refused to even boot.  From what I've been able to determine
>the incompatibility is with the Seagate 80Meg SCSI hard drive that
>I've got installed in this machine.
>
>My reseller was told by SCO that I needed the 386-GT update.  Has
>anyone had any experience with this version?  The reseller and their
>distributor have never heard of it.  They ended up FAX'ing their order
>directly to SCO.

We just upgraded an Everex 25mhz 386 machine with a ST-506 drive to
ESDI (Maxtor 1470) by ordering the GT upgrade kit.  The installation
went almost flawlessly.  The (dkinit?) installation procedure failed
to properly read the ESDI setup info from the drive, but it was a simple
matter to type in the correct values.  I have no experience with installing
SCSI drives, but the GT-installation has no obvious problems.

BTW, the GT was the first installion in which `mkdev tape' actually found
the right parameters when auto-detecting the tape configuration.  Or
perhaps this was just the first time we installed the right drive. :-)

--
Dave Hammond
daveh at marob.masa.com